Data analysts are responsible for collecting, analyzing, and interpreting large data sets. They use various tools and techniques to identify trends and patterns in data and then use this information to help organizations make better decisions. It’s an in-demand job that spans various industries and countries. But what are data analyst salaries like around the world?
If you want to become a data analyst, salary is an important factor to consider when pursuing your career. Data analysts are typically well-paid. However, the actual salary can vary depending on factors such as the specific industry, the size of the organization, and the level of experience of the data analyst. Here, we explore how much data analysts can expect to earn based on various factors. To find out about some of the top analytics careers, check out our separate article.
A Note on Salary Information
Throughout this article, we’ll look at data from various sources, such as PaySacle, Glassdoor, Indeed, and various other sources. However, it can be difficult to gain an accurate picture of what an ‘average’ salary is. There are several reasons for this.
- Salaries can vary widely based on factors such as the industry, organization size, location you’re applying to, and your experience level.
- Not everyone who works in a particular field will earn the same salary. Education, experience, and other factors can all play a part in determining your salary.
- The method used to calculate the average salary can impact its accuracy.
- The data used in the calculation may not represent the overall population.
- The data may not be collected and analyzed properly, leading to inaccurate results.
We’ll give our sources for the figures we outline here, but it’s important to bear in mind these factors as we explore data analyst salaries.
Average Data Analyst Salary Worldwide
Let’s start by looking at average salaries worldwide. We’ll cover several countries across the globe and look at various data sources. All figures are in local currencies.
We’ve compiled Glassdoor data analyst data base pay data and other statistics to compare average salaries in this industry compared to the rest of the country:
Average Data Analyst Annual Salary
Average National Annual Salary
$4,550 per month
As you can see, the figures in the table above show that, on the whole, data analyst salaries are above the national average in a range of different countries. We've shown the comparison of data analyst salaries vs national averages by country in the graph below, standardizing salaries into USD:
Let’s look in more detail at some of these stats.
First, let’s look at some average salaries for the entire country:
- PayScale. $66,082 based on 1,940 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. $80,113 based on 55,210 salaries
- Indeed. $64,726 based on 5,100 salaries
- Salary.com. $81,964 with no sample size given.
Of course, this will differ depending on where in the country you’re working. So, for example, according to Glassdoor, the average base data analyst salary in New York is $77,720, while in California, it’s $73,860, and in Houston, it’s $70,429.
Glassdoor data on the average data analyst salary in the US - source
Again, let’s look at average data analyst salaries in the UK from various resources:
- PayScale. £29,619 based on 1,940 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. £38,143 based on 3,733 salaries
- Indeed. £34,567 based on 7,300 salaries
- Reed. £42,497 based on 1,320 jobs.
As we can see, there is a significant difference between what different sources are showing, further highlighting the difficulty of picking out a single average salary.
We can see such a variety across different cities in the UK as well. For example, according to Glassdoor data, the average annual base pay for data analysts in London is £39,405, while only £34,790 in Edinburgh, £29,671 in Belfast, and £28,970 in Cardiff.
We’ve looked at a similar range of sources for data analyst salaries in Canada:
- PayScale. $60,930 based on 1,767 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. $70,256 with no info provided on the sample size
- Indeed. $62,406 based on 333 salaries reported
- Talent.com. $69,561 based on 1,718 salaries
The ranges given here are slightly more aligned, giving a clearer picture of what the actual average might look like.
When looking at how salaries compare across Canada, we’ll use Glassdoor data once again. The average data analyst salary in Toronto is $64,434, while in Vancouver, it’s $67,301, and in Edmonton $70,187. However, the sample sizes outside of Toronto are much smaller, which could explain why the averages are higher.
In Australia, we can see the average salary data below:
- PayScale. $74,941 based on 1,266 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. $96,209 with no info provided on the sample size
- Indeed. $92,456 based on 1,300 salaries reported
- Talent.com. $105,000 based on 1,601 salaries.
As with the UK, it’s evident that data analyst salaries in Australia can vary significantly. We can see that In Sydney, the average annual salary for a data analyst is $90,000, while in Brisbane, it’s $81,638, and in Adelaide, it’s only $78,336.
There is slightly less data available for data analyst salaries in Germany, but we can see that:
- PayScale. €48,484 based on 520 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. €58,250 with no info provided on the sample size.
Based on what we’ve seen in other countries, it’s also highly likely that these figures will vary across the country, with the highest salaries being found in cities such as Munich.
Data analysts are in high demand in India, and salaries reflect this need for skilled professionals. We’ve highlighted some key data below:
- PayScale. ₹4,98,126 based on 4,477 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. ₹6,97,500 with no info provided on the sample size
- Indeed. ₹5,08,721 based on 409 salaries reported.
Again, we see a fair amount of variation here, and this is a trend when we look at different data analyst salaries across cities in India.
Sites for salary data in Singapore tend to give figures on a monthly rather than an annual basis, with average base data analyst salaries as follows:
- PayScale S$53,516, based on 445 salary profiles
- Glassdoor. $4,550 per month, with no info provided on the sample size
- Indeed. $5,310 per month, based on 1,100 salaries.
Factors Influencing Data Analyst Salaries
We’ve seen quite a range of figures when looking at data analyst salaries around the world. Clearly, it’s hard to determine exactly how much you might get paid in this role. However, we can identify some of the factors that influence how much you’ll get paid. We’ve outlined these below:
- Level of education and experience. A data analyst with a higher level of education (e.g. a master's degree) and more experience in the field is likely to earn a higher salary than one with a lower level of education and less experience.
- Industry. Some industries, such as tech and finance, tend to pay higher salaries for data analysts than others, such as healthcare or education.
- Company size and location. A data analyst working for a large company in a major city is likely to earn a higher salary than one working for a small company in a smaller town.
- Demand for skills and expertise. If there is high demand for a particular set of skills or expertise, a data analyst with those skills may be able to command a higher salary.
- Other compensation. Many of the salaries we’ve quoted are base numbers, which can grow considerably when other perks and compensation are accounted for. Again, the final figures can vary when this factor is accounted for.
Data Analyst Salaries By Experience
Let’s look at one example of a factor that influences how much you’re likely to get paid as a data analyst; experience. In the US, according to data from Glassdoor, an average entry-level data analyst salary is $65,900 per year.
For those with 1-3 years of experience in a junior role, a standard data analyst salary averages $72,321 per year.
A senior data analyst salary is around $102,816 per year for those with 5-7 years of experience in the industry.
Data Analyst Salaries at Top Companies
One aspect we’ve already covered is that data analysts tend to get paid more at bigger organizations. So what are salaries like at MAANG companies? (Meta, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google, the tech giants known worldwide).
Again, we’ve tried to find accurate data wherever possible, but the usual caveats apply.
Glassdoor data shows that, based on 15 salaries in Austin, TX, the average base pay for a data analyst at Meta is $127,207 per year. Users also report a cash bonus averaging $11,544 and a stock bonus of $11,314 per year.
The average data analyst salary at Amazon appears considerably lower, at $52,738 per year. However, this figure is based on 264 salaries rather than 15, so it could be more accurate. Plus. Amazon employees report a cash bonus averaging $7,244 and a stock bonus averaging $5,263 per year.
Using a slightly different data source, we can see that Apple data analyst salaries average around $98,322 based on 104 data points. This source also gives a total compensation figure of $190,500, but that is only based on two data points and so is not representative.
According to one source, the average data analyst salary at Netflix is $97,973 per year, with a $14,714 bonus. However, this source does not give an idea of how many salaries this figure is based on.
The average annual Google data analyst salary is $99,990, with additional pay coming in at $38,001 per year. However, Glassdoor does not give details on how many salaries this figure is based on.
Ways to Increase Your Salary as a Data Analyst
Whether you’re just starting out as a data analyst or looking for your next promotion, there are several ways you can increase your salary. We’ve highlighted some tips below to help you maximize your worth in the job market.
- Keep learning and developing your skills. Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in the field, and take courses or earn certifications to learn new skills and advance your career.
- Consider switching industries or companies. If you're working in an industry or for a company that doesn't pay as well as others, consider switching to a higher-paying industry or company.
- Negotiate your salary. When you're offered a job or a promotion, don't be afraid to negotiate your salary. Research the average salary for your position and location, and use that information to justify your request for a higher salary.
- Showcase your value to the company. Demonstrate the value you bring to the company by showing how your work has helped improve business outcomes or achieve specific goals. This can help you justify a higher salary and make you a more attractive candidate for promotions or raises.
DataCamp has a range of courses to help you develop your skills, whether you’re just starting out or need a refresher on specific areas. For example, check out our data analyst with Python track to brush up on your skills in Python.
So, how much do data analysts get paid? As we’ve seen, this is a role in high demand worldwide and one that is well-compensated based on the skills needed. The specific salary for a data analyst can vary depending on the country, industry, and experience level, but on average, data analysts earn competitive salaries commensurate with their education and expertise.
Many companies offer additional perks and benefits that can enhance a data analyst's overall compensation package. As the field of data analysis continues to grow and evolve, data analyst salaries will likely continue to be a lucrative career option for those with the necessary skills and experience.
Interested in other roles? Check out our other articles:
Data Analyst Salary FAQs
What is the average salary for a data analyst?
The average salary for a data analyst can vary depending on the country, industry, and experience level. On average, however, data analysts salaries are generally very competitive and above the national average salary in a number of countries.
How does experience level affect a data analyst's salary?
As with most careers, a data analyst's salary typically increases with experience. Entry-level data analysts may earn lower salaries compared to more experienced data analysts, but as they gain more experience and skills, their salaries will likely increase.
Are there any additional perks or benefits that data analysts typically receive?
In addition to a competitive salary, many companies offer additional perks and benefits to their data analysts. These can include things like bonuses, stock options, flexible working arrangements, and opportunities for professional development and training.
Is there a difference in salary between data analysts in different industries?
Yes, the specific salary for a data analyst can vary depending on the industry they work in. For example, a data analyst working in the tech industry may earn a higher salary compared to a data analyst working in the healthcare industry. It is important for data analysts to research salary ranges for their specific industry and location to make informed career decisions.
A writer and content editor in the edtech space. Committed to exploring data trends and enthusiastic about learning data science.
Data Analyst Courses
Data Science Interview Preparation